Yes, I’m back blogging here, and I’m pretty happy to be. Because that means I now have some free time to put on projects, rather than on school stuff only. As usual, I’ve kept myself busy throughout the semester with a bunch of projects. I will write other articles on these projects soon, but for now I present you the last one I worked on : a steampunkish scroll wheel (something that serves the same purpose as the scroll wheel on your mouse but bigger, smoother and who turns by itself for a little while when you give it a spin).
First inspired by a post on Make , I decided to build this little thing because it would be quite useful in some of the programs I use usually and because I wanted a project to try the new dremel tool I just bought. But rather than making one like all the other ones you can see on instructables, made in a plastic box and merely kluged together, I wanted mine to look well in addition to work well. That’s why I choose brass and maple wood as the main materials for it, note that all the hardware, mouse circuit, counter, piece of brass, well, all the things that composes this project were salvaged from old radios or recuperated from various sources. Next are some build pictures, because we all like that kind of images…
No posts for along time here…been busy on my new webcomic and the usual university stuff. Also, during this period of time i got a couple of new commissions, one of them being the production of a limited edition run of albums for a friends of ours. This commissions consisted in making approximately 200 cd covers by hand using stencil and screen print. The albums were made on recycled cardboard on which we sprayed the background color with a hand-cut stencil. To save us some time, we worked on large cardboards (32″ x 40″) on which we could make 15 albums at a time. Actually, we’re pretty much done with the screen printing and we are moving on into the cutting, folding and gluing part. If you are interested, you can listen to the band’s music here : http://myspace.com/lesscieux
Now some in progress photos :
yup, and it’s something I’ve been thinking about for years! But finally, I decided I could afford to waste a bit of my time every week contributing a webcomic. I just realised it when i looked at the little comics I did recently and the rate at which I could make them…so let me introduce you to : a special set of circumstances: a slightly absurd webcomic about random situations.
a special set of circumstances
I will posting there once a week, on a random day. Hope you enjoy and spread the word!
here are the last props I did recently. They were commissioned by a guy who wanted them for a piratey halloween costume. The musket and pistols were based on the design of real antique pistols. Materials used are pine wood, maple wood, pvc tubing, styrene and metal sheet.
I did a bit of leather work too, something I had promised a friend a long time ago. And now I finally got around making his commission…
It is made completely of recycled leather and I used repurposed bearings for the goggles themselves, all sewn by hand with a lot of love…